What was I right about?
- The Conservatives got back in. I thought they'd need the support of UKIP and te DUP to get the necessary seats for an overall majority. Turns out they didn't. They didn't need either of these to get all ultra right-wing authoritarian on our asses either.
- The Greens, the SNP and Paid Cymru did former a closer alliance pre-general election and I'd say they've maintained relatively close ties since. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/06/green-party-talks-alliance-snp-plaid-cymru-caroline-lucas-labour-coalition
- Society is more divided. Strikes, protests and riots are ramping up. I'd say the hardcore of so called "violent" protesters has been a bit smaller than I was expecting by this point but there is lots of time yet! https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/a-tale-of-two-cities-how-london-is-more-divided-than-ever-before/
- Homelessness continued to increase. Homelessness and the housing crisis got onto everyone's radar by the middle of summer. As the weather starts to cool down it's still there. This is going to be a long hard winter for the thousands on the streets. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-housing-crisis-homelessness-rises-10-london-reflects-desperate-state-rented-sector-1521331
- Things did get a bit tense between Venezuela and the USA. No invasion yet but increasing tension continues increasing. http://www.voanews.com/content/cuba-blasts-us-over-venezuela-sanctions/2674466.html
- The Mexican 'almost' revolution hasn't been all that loud. There was recently some big protests on the 1 year anniversary of the disappearance of the 43 students but we're no where near a tipping point yet. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mexico-missing-students-anniversary-march_5606fa0ce4b0768126fdcaba
What was I wrong about?
- That UKIP would get 15+ seats. Never have I been so happy to have been wrong. I despise that scummy little party so much it's obscene.
- The push for drug legalisation continues but it's not really much more of a thing than it was last year.
- Russell Brand might well be describing the Greens, SNP and Paid Cymru as the answer to all our troubles but we wouldn't know about it because he's gone. He's stopped doing the Trews and we don't really hear from him any more much. He was interesting while he lasted. I didn't expect him to turn to Labour at the last moment though, that was weird.
What didn't I see coming?
- Jezza. The coming of Jezza has changed the story of this year. At a time when I predicted a practical insurgency he's drawn lefty people back into supporting labour. I should be horrified but I'm not ruling him out as potentially interesting still, I'm not even completely sure why.
- I didn't realise how bad the refugee crisis was going to become. I should have said something about it in the original post really.
I'll try to do another of these soon. I'm going to try to get even more specific. I'll probably focus in a bit more on housing and a handful of other issues I've been following and thinking about more closely though.
No comments:
Post a Comment